Technical Support Scientist
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Position Type: Full-time
Employment Type: Exempt
Carterra is a leading provider of innovative technologies designed to accelerate the discovery of novel therapeutic candidates. Carterra’s LSA instrument for monoclonal antibody (mAb) screening and characterization combines patented microfluidics technology with real-time High Throughput Surface Plasmon Resonance (HT-SPR). Paired with industry leading Kinetic and Epitope analysis and visualization software, the LSA is used around the world to provide scientists with the functionality of a rapid and comprehensive state-of-the-art antibody expression platform (this platform was used to discover the world’s first COVID-19 therapeutic and in record time).
The Technical Support Scientist will be integral in helping our customers execute successful experiments and analyze data that could potentially lead to medical breakthroughs.
This individual will be responsible for addressing customer inquiries related to experiments and instrument use – including recording, troubleshooting, and resolving issues by phone and email.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Helping customers with biological and instrument technical issues
- Aid customers with assay design and optimization
- Data analysis
- Answering software application questions
- Troubleshooting instrument components – mechanical/electrical/software/firmware
- Record interactions in a CRM (SalesForce.com), while actively managing ongoing cases toward resolution and closure
- Provide training to customers and global distributors on how to use and maintain our instrumentation platforms
- Dispatch calls to our field service engineering team when unable to resolve remotely
- Assist with integrating feature requests
- Assay development, testing and written protocols
- Development of technical documentation used internally and externally for instrument and data analysis troubleshooting
- Other duties as assigned
This requires substantial knowledge of the biological sciences, as well as the instrument hardware and multiple software suites used to control the instrument and analyze the data.
The Technical Support Scientist will have regular collaboration with multiple departments such as the scientific, software, hardware, electrical, sales, quality, and manufacturing teams. Over time, the individual will expand their support coverage to multiple instrument and product platforms. Additional projects to support the customer, company initiatives, and/or other department initiatives will be required as needed.
This is a customer-facing role using phone, e-mail, web-based remote connection support sessions, and online meetings. This role is an essential part of Carterra’s success and that of our customers.
- MS or BA/BS degree in biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, immunology, molecular/cellular biology, or relevant industry experience. A PhD is not required but welcome
- Lab experience with preference for prior exposure to label-free analysis instruments such as KinExA, Cytiva/BiaCore, Sartorius/Octet, Bio-rad/ProteOn
- A mechanical aptitude and basic understanding of electrical and software functionality in relation to the control of capital equipment
- Effective communication, documentation, and computer skills including MS Office 365, Jira and SalesForce.com
- Highly self-directed, conscientious, articulate, and possesses excellent presentation and teaching skills
- Committed to total customer satisfaction with outstanding interpersonal skills and professionalism
- A team player
- Demonstrates a keen desire to learn and a passion for science and technology
- Ability to think logically, solve technical problems and prioritize diverse tasks across multiple projects
- Ability to stay organized while multitasking
- Experience with SPR (Surface Plasmon Resonance), Antibody/Antigen binding, Immunology, or vaccines. Familiarity with measuring on-rate/off-rate constants
- Previous industry work experience, particularly in a start-up or smaller organization
- Experience with advanced problem solving on hardware, software, and Antibody based assays
- Able to lift 25 lbs.
- Able to perform tasks requiring bending, stooping, standing, and twisting in performance of tasks
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for their job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To apply, send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org